Learn all the ins and outs of this popular roofing system
Have you ever looked up and seen a bright white roof? If you answered yes, then you may be familiar with a TPO roof system. One of the most common commercial roof types, TPO coating has some of the best energy-saving capabilities of the single-ply membrane roof family. If you’re like everyone else, you want to spend your hard-earned money on something you’re educated on and that makes sense for your property. At American Roofing & Waterproofing, we’re here to help you understand all aspects of the roofing industry and all the options that are available to you. Today, we’re using our expertise to break down TPO roofing:
What Is A TPO Roofing System?
Formally known as Thermoplastic Polyolefin, TPO is a single-ply roofing membrane that is one of the fastest-growing commercial roofing systems on the market. These single-ply, white roofing systems are made up of a single layer of synthetics and reinforcing scrim often used to be able to cover a flat roof. TPO membranes get manufactured in sheets that are either 10, 12 or 20 feet wide. These sheets are then rolled up and taken to the commercial facility to begin preparation for this popular coating installation.
How Long Does TPO Roofing Last?
The lifespan is extremely important to consider when looking at a range of roof options. So how long will TPO roofing last? You can expect to get around 25 years out of TPO roofing membrane as long as it’s installed properly. However, roof longevity depends on a multitude of factors such as the existing weather, how much direct sunlight hits the roof and the quality of the installation. As long as your TPO membrane roof is installed correctly, it’ll get as close as possible to its maximum lifespan. Turn to us to install your TPO roofing system with quality and care!
What Are the Pros of a TPO Roofing System?
Every roof system has its ups and downs, so why go with TPO coating? Here are a few pros to consider:
• You Can Choose Your Insulation – single-ply membrane roofing does not include insulation, so as a customer, you have many options for how you want your property to be insulated.
• Class A Fire-Rated – TPO roofing membranes have the ability to achieve a Class A fire resistance listing. Be sure your contractor is adding fire retardant chemicals during the manufacturing process.
• Heat Reflective – Due to its white color being a white, it does a great job of reflecting heat and keeping things cool.
• Easy Installation – It’s a common choice for building owners and contractors because it can be quick and easy to install, avoiding disruption of the workday.
How Much Does A TPO Roofing System Cost?
For the average size of a commercial roof, usually around 20,000 sq. feet, it can cost between $3.50 and $7.50 per square foot in materials and labor to install a typical single-ply membrane commercial roofing system like TPO coating. When considering the price, it’s important to think about the following factors:
• Roof size
• Condition of the existing roof
• Access to roof
• Roof Insulation
• Membrane choice
• Type of roof warranty
Any roofing job should always be done by a professional and American Roofing and Waterproofing can be trusted to get every job done effectively and with the best quality. Inquire with us for your next TPO coating project on your commercial structure!