Commercial roofs must prepare for heavy rains
During the time between June and September, Arizona residents can expect to see heavy rains, high winds, hail storms and lightning. Monsoon season can cause damage on roof surfaces that result in small or large leaks. These damages can lead to extensive water damage all the way to the foundation of the building as well as the equipment and other possessions housed under or within the roof.
That is why it’s important to take the necessary precautions to prepare your commercial roof for the rainy season ahead. Doing so will ensure your roof is ready for the anticipated rains without damage or leaks.
Here are five ways to prepare your roof for monsoon season:
- Inspect your building’s roof. Walk around the roof and make sure there is no pre-existing damage, pooling or debris buildup. Make note of any repairs that need to be made.
- While you’re on the roof, check the flashing. The material is usually very durable and holds up well in extreme weather, but only if it’s not damaged. If flashing is left untreated, roofs can end up leaking during the rainy season.
- If during your roof inspection you find cracks, holes or broken shingles, be sure to repair the damages quickly. Extreme weather will only make existing damage worse. Roof repair is not cheap, but it’s more affordable when done before the damage.
- Clean out the gutters. Leaves and other debris blocking gutters can prevent water from properly leaving the roof, resulting in pooling and damage. Make sure those gutters are clear so they can properly do their job during monsoon season.
- Lastly, trim nearby trees. The leaves that fall can clog gutters and create drainage problems. During wind storms, branches can scrape away shingles or fall on top of them. A tree collapsing on a roof creates more than just a roofing problem, so check the distance between your roof and overhanging branches, and cut them back if necessary.
When making decisions for repairs for your roofs, consider American Roofing & Waterproofing. We’ll provide you with quality service you can trust.